10/16/2015

HOW TO GET MARRIED AT 25; The Incomplete guide!

Part 1: Find the Right One


It is said that “a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step”. On the contrary, I believe it’s better if that journey begins when you have an idea of where you will be (want to be) when you are through with the a thousand miles. Every guy knows this about a trip to the mall; the strategy is know what you came in to get, get it, and get out!
Similarly, when most people decide to get into a relationship of some sort (even if marriage is not the end goal) asks themselves;

                “Is he the right one?”
                “How do I know I’m with the right person?”
                “How do you find the right one?”

These questions are valid mostly because you do not ever want to be disappointed a few months, even years down the road. Everybody wants to be in a perfect relationship after all.

This is the story of how I met my right one.

Disclaimer: Names of characters in these stories have been altered…you just never know who we might be telling on!

I walk into the tiny partitioned garage studio, past the reception area, straight into the band room to plug in my guitar. I am late for the practice session. I hate feeling awkward around people I have just met so most times I avoid unnecessary conversation. As I fidget with my equipment,

                “Hi, my name is Rebecca. Who are you?”

I look up to answer and this tall, dark, and slender girl is looking straight at me with a face that completes her bold greeting with…

                “So you’re the ka-new ka-guitarist?”
                “So you think you’re too cool for us?”
                “Who are you??”

I smile, and introduce myself.
And that children, is “how I met your mother”.
Well, as fate would have it, that night after rehearsals we walked home together.
Long story short, we did not decide on being each other’s “the one” until a couple of walks, rehearsals, and longer walks later.

So is there such a thing as the right one? Yes there is. How do you find the right one? You don’t and you do. There is no perfect way to tell. In my experience “you just know somehow”, deep down inside you your Spirit just agrees with you. For my friend Jason, it’s “love at first sight”. He met his right one on the steps outside church.

And there is no getting it right every time. When I met Rebecca, I had just walked out of a complicated situation. I had proposed to X, who I had done internship with, and we were having this complicated thing where I was her boyfriend whenever she needed something. (Pulls out hankie)  At the same time I was seeing Y who happened to be going through a complicated patch in her life with a guy she liked. Then, I was being “best-friend-zoned” by Z. It was a crinkum-crankum.

One of the strangest fears people have is to get into something and then it ends. Christians especially feel like if they get into a relationship, they have to end up walking down the aisle with whoever it is they are dating. I believe, if it’s not working, it’s okay to move on from it.


So, yes, find that right person that you connect with, and do not be under any pressure.

Source: Stock photo

5 comments:

  1. Hihihi!! I like.
    It's like that point in time whenever someone meets "The One" remains extremely vivid in their heads forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Uncle Burney's Play Book is being rehearsed in How to Get Married at 25

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me giggle... I don't giggle much!!

    ReplyDelete