2/13/2017

In The Beginning was The Drawing

The Dream: Part 1


Gosh! It’s been a year and some more already!?The last I was on these streets I was talking about Getting Married at 25 …I wonder how that panned out for some of you! Hmmm…
What is that you say? How is it working out for me? We’re living happily ever after!
…no further comments for the press!

When I Was 14 Going On 15

I’ve spent a big chunk of my life doodling, and scribbling and making little drawings of random things; shapes, lines, thoughts and anything everywhere.
It goes without saying, all through my school life I had run-ins with my teachers because on top of the class exercise, when I handed in my work, my books came decorated with lots of stuff drawn all over!

One of my random drawings.

Another "one of my random drawings".

I’m one of those kids who discovered really early in life that I love art! The arts actually. For some reason I could relate more with paint and color, than with predetermined formulae. I was more excited about seeing, hearing, feeling, things for the first time, things that could be and had been created than being asked to cram an entire periodic table!
When I was 14 going on 15 I found myself surrounded by kids my age who totally had no idea what they wanted to do with their lives, and not like it bothered them. Crazy me knew what Subject choices I was going to make for my A’levels, had decided what course I’d do at university ,and which university that would be(despite the fact that my parents were trying to talk me out of them). And that’s where the problems begun!

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

There are a few questions in life that have puzzled me. My wife has asked most of them:
  •        Where’s the remote?
  •         Did you (insert task you said you’d do like 3 weeks ago)?
  •         Did you call (insert appointment you had to make like last month)?
  •          Did you buy the bread?
  •          Who killed Captain Alex? (I haven’t even watched the movie!)

And the big one … “What do you want to do when you grow up?”
Growing up ,when adults would ask me that I would feel a deep frustration inside. No one would give me enough time to think my answer through. It felt like there was a particular/correct answer they wanted to hear. My big brother who I secretly looked up to at the time (Franklin get over yourself) had his correct answer ready whenever people would ask! All my friends had answers. I didn’t quite have a correct answer!
What if all I ever wanted was just to DRAW?
Source: unsplash.com

What If All You Ever Wanted To Do Was Just Draw?

I have a vivid memory from my early teenage years of driving my dad (Bless his soul) up the wall by just mentioning “I’m going to do industrial Art” (okay I’d mentioned it one too many times), while he was trying to convince me that it was too early to determine that. My mum took me on the side, sat me down countless times to tell me “You like words…you could do Law”, or “Have you considered ‘Mass comm’?” years before the decision had to be made. It felt like choosing Art to most people was like resigning from life!
And yet Art gave me the opportunity of self-expression. Art gave me peace of my mind, piece of heart, and I happened to be good at it! It’s the one thing in life where I could rule. Picture this,I stood up in a fellowship of my classmates,  and testified about being the best literature and Art student in the S4 mock exams. And the exams hadn’t happened yet. And I actually aced them! Why would I choose anything else?

The Dream

Recently I discovered that the dream isn’t in the things we do. The things we do/learn/pick up along the way are opportunities of stewardship, that in the end facilitate the dream. Any dream!
If all you feel inspired to do right now is play, play with passion!

Source: unsplash.com


YOUR DREAMS ARE VALID!


The thing is,there’s no two ways about it.




6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read!! I'm honored.

      Delete
  2. This....!!! is art. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff. U forgot to add 'write' to 'industrial art', seeing that your stories flow effortlessly. I should have known & I wouldn't have spent so much of my time editing all them magazines myself with 'free' help laying underutilized under the same roof

    ReplyDelete